by Marianna Gol
Hummus, the chickpea purée found on every Middle Eastern menu, is a classic companion to shish kebab. This recipe calls for canned chickpeas creating a smoother hummus.
YIELD: 4 Cups | Source: Internet
- 500 gr. chick peas, soaked overnight and cooked for two hours
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ cup cooking liquid
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 6T. Tahini
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- olive oil
- warm pita bread
- Soak the chickpeas over night and cook for two hours adding the baking soda. Reserve some of the cooking liquid.
- Peel at least 2/3 of the chick peas and put them into the jar of a blender or bowl of a food processor, add the reserved liquid and ¼ cup water, cover, and blend to a semi-smooth paste.
- With motor still running, add lemon juice through hole in blender lid or feed tube of processor. Add Tahini, garlic, and salt to taste and purée until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- Garnish hummus with some olive oil and paprika. Serve with wedges of warm pita bread.