by Marianna Gol
- 4 lg. eggplants, roasted in the oven with the skin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 med. tomatoes, cubed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup Tahini (Middle Eastern sesame paste)
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander – if not available
- black pepper
- Roast eggplants in the oven on high heat for 40 minutes. The skin will slightly burn — it’s OK, it will give your eggplant salad a grilled flavor. Set cooked eggplant aside.
- Prepare other ingredients and mix them in a large mixing bowl. Tahini will thicken after you add lemon juice. You can add a few spoonfuls of water to make it more “paste-like” (juice from the tomatoes may do it too). Add the seasoning.
- Scrape the eggplant with a spoon into a strainer. Salt it lightly (to extract the liquid). Let it drain for 20-30 minutes.
- Chop and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Adjust the seasoning.