by Marianna Gol
Basic bolognese sauce is an easy recipe, freezes well. Can be used on any pasta, in a lasagna or on baked potato.
- 500 gr. ground beef
- 5T. olive oil
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 spring thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil, dry
- 1 package basil, fresh chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 bottle tomato puree, also called passato
- 1 cup white dry wine
- 2T. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1T. sugar
- Chop all the vegetables and mince the garlic. Heat 3T. of olive oil in a pan and sauté vegetables with garlic until onions become translucent and vegetables soften slightly.
- Transfer vegetables into a deep baking dish or a pot that could be placed in the oven (no plastic elements on the lid).
- In the same pan, cook the beef, breaking up pieces until browned (about 10 minutes).
- Pour white wine into the pan while it’s still hot, and clear bits of meat and vegetables with a spatula (deglaze the pan). Pour the juices into the pot.
- Add tomatoes, passata, salt, pepper, nutmeg and dry herbs. Mix well. Place thyme and bay leaves on top of the sauce and place in the oven (180˚C) for 1 ½ hours.
- Take the sauce out of the oven, remove the thyme and bay leaves, mix again. Add sugar and chopped basil. If the sauce is too thick add a cup of water. Cook for another 30 minutes.