by Marianna Gol
This one is a little trickier, but it will make great stew or soup. Totally worth the effort! You could use brisket (chase) #3 as a main option or tzli katef # 5 for leaner version. #5 has gelatin inside instead of fat, don’t trim it or discard it — it is the main source of flavor.
- 2-3 kg. beef #5 or #3
- 1 head garlic, cut in half horizontally, no need to peel
- 1 lg. onion, halved
- 2 carrots, washed but not peeled
- 2 parsley root, washed but not peeled
- 5 celery stalks
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch coriander
- Place beef with the vegetables on a baking tray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place into a preheated oven (200˚C) for 40 minutes. Turn the meat after 20 minutes.
- Transfer meat, veggies into a large pot. Put some water in the pan and scrape the brown roasted bits. Pour into the pot. Do not discard the brown bits! Most of the flavor of your stock is in there! Cover the meat with water (3-4 liters) and place the herbs onto of the meat.
- Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain the stock through the yellow thingy; keep the meat – discard the vegetables.
- There should be enough stock for 2 – 3 soups or stews. Divide the stock into plastic containers, label and freeze.